Contender for best recipe discovery of 2017
- 1/2 cup chick pea flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- flaky sea salt for sprinkling, such as Maldon
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F and place an 8-inch cast iron skillet inside to heat up.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the chick pea flour and salt, then slowly stream in the water as you whisk. Continue whisking until no lumps remain, then whisk in 1 tablespoon olive oil. Set aside to rest as the oven heats up. This can be done up to 12 hours in advance if desired - keep it covered.
- When the oven is hot, remove the pan and add the remaining olive oil. Swirl it around to coat the entire pan, then pour the batter over and give it another swirl to make sure it coats the entire bottom. You can use a spatula to spread it out evenly need be.
- Place it on top rack of the oven and then turn on the broiler, keeping the door cracked if need be to keep the oven from cycling off. Keep an eye on it as it cooks and when it's nicely browned and slightly charred on top, it's done.
- Slice into wedges and serve immediately.
- This recipe can be easily scaled up to fit a bigger pan. You can add optional flavorings such as rosemary, garlic, onions, cayenne, etc. Just don't tell any Italians.